Princeton's Red Covered Bridge on the Galena Trail
North of Princeton a couple of miles is the Red Covered Bridge spanning Bureau Creek, one of only six covered bridges left in the state. Built in 1863, the bridge was designed to be covered so that livestock would not frighten as they crossed over the river and to protect the lower wooden part from weather damage. The sign still posted over the entrance reads, "Five dollars fine for driving more than twelve horses mules or cattle at one time or for leading any beast faster than a walk on or across this bridge." The bridge is still open to car traffic.
The Red Covered Bridge spans Bureau Creek where the Galena Trail crossed the river. The Galena Trail was the first state road in Northern Illinois and it connected city of Peoria on the Illinois River with the lead-mining town of Galena in the northwestern corner of the state. The trail passed straight through Princeton where Main Street is today. To see more Illinois towns along the Galena Trail, click here. To visit the Galena Trail website, click here.
To continue exploring Princeton, click on one of the links below.